Feta. Olives. Fresh Dill. Onion. All of the makings, plus more, for a phenomenal Greek style meal. And even better when all piled high in a bowl.
These Greek style baked chicken meatballs served with homemade spicy tzatziki might just be my new favorite flavor combo to serve bowl style. When paired with Trader Joe’s Rice Medley, tons of fresh herbs, spicy grilled zucchini, roasted red peppers and tomatoes, this meal is packed with flavor.
And those ingredients are just the bowl pairings, not to mention how flavorful these meatballs are.
There are some unexpected seasonings in there such as cinnamon and lemon zest. The slightly sweet sensation the cinnamon brings pairs great with the tang of the lemon zest. Might sound weird, but I mean, you’re gonna have to trust me on this.
The more familiar Greek flavors mentioned in the beginning such as feta and olives def have their chance to shine. Don’t worry. They all come together to make sure each bite is better than the next.
And another reason I’m slightly obsessed with these baked meatballs?
The last reason why I am (and you should be, too) obsessed with these baked meatballs is the fact that they reheat extremely well. Since the batch makes so freakin’ many, like we’re talking 40+ meatballs, you’re either gonna need a small army to feed or a recipe that keeps well overtime.
Since creating the recipe, I have reheated them 4 times, and they still are just as juicy as the first time I pulled them out of the oven. Now, please excuse me while I go pack this is my lunch tomorrow (where I will obviously be reheating them, again 😉 ).Print
Authentic Greek flavors come together in the perfect little bite.
- 1/4 cup cornbread or panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 TBSP minced garlic, about 3 cloves
- 1/2 red onion, roughly chopped
- 2 TBSP olive tapenade
- 4oz feta, crumbled
- 1 1/2 tsp. harissa
- The zest of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp. Maldon Sea salt
- 1 TBSP dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- Cracked black pepper
- 1 LB lean ground chicken
- Optional, 1 TBSP Olive oil
- The zest and juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 2 TBSP minced garlic
- 1/2 cup grated English cucumber
- 1/2 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1 cup Nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1.5 tsp sriracha
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Over medium heat, saute the red onion and garlic using just cooking spray (or 1 TBSP of olive oil if you choose to) until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the onion mixture with all the other meatball ingredients except for the ground chicken. Mix until evenly incorporated.
- Carefully mix in the chicken until JUST combined. You do not want to over mix, as that will result in a tough meatball.
- Using a 1-inch cookie scoop, scoop out 40-ish meatballs onto a parchment lined sheet pan. Bake at 400 for 18-20 minutes. Let the meatballs cool completely before storing.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To test the seasoning of your meatballs, cook up a tiny little patty to see if you need to add more cracked pepper, harissa (for heat) or salt. The salt content should be good with the feta and olives in there, so air on the side of caution with adding salt.
- Serve in a bowl! My favorite way –> over romaine lettuce with Trader Joe’s Red Pepper spread (the eggplant and garlic one), Trader Joe’s rice medley, roasted tomatoes, roasted red peppers, sauteed zucchini and onion, and LOTS of tzatziki.
- These also make great burger patties! This recipe will make 8 patties.